Friday, December 16, 2011
Managed Futures Hold Ground in November; Barclay CTA Index Up 0.11%
“In spite of a gut-wrenching reversal from risk-off to risk-on in the last three days of the month, CTAs were mostly in the black at month-end,” says Sol Waksman, founder and president of BarclayHedge.
Read the entire Managed Futures Press Release by clicking here.
Thursday, December 15, 2011
Is the Future the Past?
Dermot Butler reflects on the events that influenced financial markets this past year and shares his thoughts about 2012.
Read the full study here.
New Fund Launches
- Goose Hollow Capital Advisors (FX)
- IFR InCube Augura Fund
- Matador Holdings (Diversified Commodity)
- Tudor McLeod Global Real Estate Fund
From the December 2011 issue of the BarclayHedge Insider Report. Accredited investors can subscribe to the full newsletter for free.
Investor Behavior, Hedge Fund Returns and Strategies
Their paper finds that irrational sentiments play a role in hedge fund returns. The authors also find that investors can make use of "irrational beta" to avoid funds that display greater irrational behavior. (Note: study is a working paper.)
Download the full article here. From the December 2011 issue of Barclay's Insider Report. Accredited investors can subscribe to the full newsletter for free.
Wednesday, December 14, 2011
October Hedge Fund and CTA Performance
Commodity Trading Advisor performance for October as measured by the Barclay CTA Index averaged -2.15%. November's estimate based on the performance of the Barclay BTOP50 Index is -0.25%.
Hedge Fund Indices Managed Futures Indices
From the December 2011 issue of Barclay's Insider Report. Accredited investors can subscribe to the full newsletter for free.
TrimTabs/BarclayHedge Survey of Hedge Fund Managers - November Survey
- The 157 hedge fund managers we surveyed in the past week have slightly altered their stance on U.S. • equities. Bullish sentiment on the S&P 500 stands at 31% in November, the fourth highest reading this year. Bearish dropped to 36%, the smallest reading since September 2011, from 57%. Note that managers have been markedly bullish in only two months (January and July) in 2011.
- Equity futures flows and short interest square with the less bearish stance on the part of hedge fund • managers. Speculative traders have been net buyers of equity futures in only seven weeks in 2011. We believe positive change in spec traders’ positions over the past 12 weeks is a cautiously bullish indicator. NYSE short interest decreased 12% to 14.1 billion shares in November from 16.1 billion shares in September, the third-straight decline and the lowest level since early August. . .
The Hedge Fund Flow Report combines the accuracy of the BarclayHedge database with the analytical insight of TrimTabs Investment Research. The report is generated by TrimTabs Investment Research using the most current data on thousands of hedge funds. An annual subscription includes 12 monthly updates as well as a spreadsheet containing historical flow aggregates by category. To download a free sample of the entire TrimTabs Hedge Fund Flow Report, simply fill out this short request form.
Tuesday, December 13, 2011
Hedge Funds Continue Downward Trend; Barclay Hedge Fund Index Slides 1.04% in November
“The S&P 500 gained 0.10 percent during the month, concealing stomach-churning intra-month volatility,” says Sol Waksman, founder and president of BarclayHedge.
Read the entire Hedge Fund Press Release by clicking here.
Monday, December 12, 2011
Hedge Fund Redemptions More than Triple in October; Assets Fall for Third Consecutive Month
New York, NY – December 12, 2011 – BarclayHedge and TrimTabs Investment Research reported today that hedge fund redemptions in October were $9 billion, more than triple September’s $2.59 billion outflow. Industry assets decreased to $1.66 trillion in October from $1.73 trillion in September, the third straight monthly decline.
“Investors seem to have lost patience with lackluster hedge fund returns,” says Sol Waksman, founder and President of BarclayHedge. The Barclay Hedge Fund Index did rise 3.5% in October, bouncing back from five straight monthly declines. Assets are at their lowest since January 2010.
Read the entire TrimTabs Asset Flows into Hedge Funds Press Release by clicking here.
Copyright © 2010 by Barclay Hedge
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]